Open letter to Indian Central Government from Stanford Students Coalition for Kashmir

Since August 4, ten million Kashmiris have been caged in their own homes, terrified by the presence of over half a million Indian troops who have been deployed to impose one of the worst curfews known to any democracy. As a result, Kashmir remains far from “normal” and is disconnected from the outside world. There will be no Internet, no mobile networks, and no open schools or offices for the 30th day today.

Stanford Students Coalition for Kashmir urges the Indian Central Government to immediately restore all communication channels, and respect human rights and democratic norms in Kashmir. 

We believe that as a democracy, India must uphold the fundamental rights enshrined in its Constitution, particularly freedom of speech (Article 19), in Kashmir. We urge the Indian Central Government to revoke Section 144 imposed on Kashmir, which by law inhibits the “gathering of more than four people in an area,” and to release all innocent civilians who have been detained and beaten without warrant and/or reason since August 4, especially minors.

We urge respect for human rights, compliance with legal procedures, and inclusive dialogues with leaders of the state and those affected.  

We stand in complete solidarity with Kashmiris—both those within Kashmir and all around the world. 

— Stanford Students Coalition for Kashmir

Stanford Students Coalition for Kashmir is a group of 117 Stanford undergraduate and graduate students who are united by the mission of standing up for democracy, peace and justice in Kashmir.