Stanford proposes new medical office building, standalone parking garage in Redwood City

Less than five months after celebrating the opening of Stanford’s Redwood City campus, Stanford Health Care has proposed plans for a second phase of the project, including a medical office building and a standalone parking garage. An application was submitted to Redwood City and will be reviewed by city staff.

The Stanford in Redwood City Precise Plan was approved by the Redwood City City Council on Sept. 9, 2013, and includes office and research space, along with medical and clinical buildings, on 35 of the 48 acres of the former Ampex corporation headquarters. The recently proposed additions would use all of the medical space Stanford is allowed under the Precise Plan.

The first stage of construction included four office buildings, a fitness center, a dining pavilion, a child care center, a parking structure, landscaping and a 2.4-acre open space with a walkway to the city’s adjacent Spinas Park. 

Proposed additions for the second stage include a nine-story, 227,000-square-foot medical building located at 500 Broadway Street, which will be built above an underground parking garage, and a 1,107-space free-standing parking structure to be built at 510 Broadway. The proposal also includes the construction of terraces and an oval entrance loop for staff and visitors.

The project is planned to accommodate the local Redwood City community through street improvements, resource sustainability and reservation of public open spaces.

“The existing buildings that will be demolished are currently vacant,” wrote Stanford spokesperson E.J. Miranda in an email to The Daily. “Previous occupants have been accommodated within Stanford University’s newest buildings.”

With the specific medical services that will be provided by the new facilities set to be decided in late 2019 or early 2020, the medical building is broadly planned to assist in and expand upon the services provided by the current Stanford Medicine Outpatient Center in Redwood City. The outpatient center currently offers more than 50 specialty services including dermatology, orthopedics and pelvic health. 

“Stanford Health Care’s vibrant regional network is focused on serving patients closer to where they live and work,” Miranda wrote. “The new medical office building and parking structure continue our commitment to provide patients convenient access to Stanford Medicine physicians and care teams.”

Stanford looks forward to completion of the second phase of construction. 

“Stanford Health Care typically celebrates key construction milestones,” he wrote. “We anticipate a ribbon-cutting ceremony when the new medical office building and parking structure are ready to open.”

Contact Brian Lee at bl45983 ‘at’ pausd.us.

Brian was a high school intern for The Daily in summer 2019.