EAST preassigned students mistakenly assigned to Crothers

Students accepted to live in the Education And Society Theme (EAST) House next school year were mistakenly assigned to live in Crothers Hall after a “data entry error” by Residential Education (ResEd). None of the affected students are guaranteed to find housing in EAST.

Through the preassignment process, students may apply to a single campus residence before the regular housing draw in order to participate in a program in alignment with a residence’s particular theme. Preassigned students are required to fill out a draw application with the rest of the undergraduate population, but with the promise that they will be assigned to the residence where they have already been accepted.

This year, that promise was broken.

Draw results were released on Wednesday at 9:00 p.m.; the would-be EAST preassigns received email notification of the error from ResEd’s Preassignment Team at 9:26 p.m. on Thursday.

Five options were presented to misassigned students in the email: remain in Crothers, reassign to EAST or reassign to another residence. Students who remain in Crothers or reassign to a residence other than EAST will still have the option to participate in the EAST programming — to enroll in two quarter-long education seminars, work with the EAST House staff to develop at least two theme events during the year, and attend at least half of the house’s theme events per quarter. —  but will not be required to do so.

The email added that ResEd will “actively work” to reassign affected students to EAST house “as vacancies become available,” even mid-year, if students remain interested. Reassignment takes place when students join the Autumn quarter waiting list by July 7.

Crothers, like EAST, is a tier-three preassign residence, meaning any undergraduate is eligible to apply unless they have already exhausted their four years of guaranteed housing.

The Daily has reached out to Student Affairs, ResEd, EAST Resident Fellow Christine Min Wotipka and Crothers Resident Fellows Stephen Stedman and Corinne Thomas.

Contact Julia Ingram at jmingram ‘at’ stanford.edu and Holden Foreman at hs4man21 ‘at’ stanford.edu.

Julia Ingram ’21 was The Daily's Volume 256 editor-in-chief. She is a New York City native majoring in English literature and working toward a career in news reporting. Contact her at jingram ‘at’ stanforddaily.com.Holden Foreman '21 was the Vol. 258-59 chief technology officer. Holden was president and editor-in-chief in Vol. 257, executive editor (vice president) in Vol. 256, managing editor of news in Vol. 254 and student business director in Vol. 255.