Support independent, student-run journalism.  Your support helps give staff members from all backgrounds the opportunity to conduct meaningful reporting on important issues at Stanford. All contributions are tax-deductible.

Man reported to be impersonating a 5-SURE driver

A 20 to 30 year old man driving a blue Subaru Forester was reported to have impersonated a 5-SURE driver at 12:40 a.m. on Saturday, according to an AlertSU notification sent at 11:43 a.m. the same day. 5-SURE (Students United for Risk Elimination) is Stanford’s safe rides program, offering free escorts at night to members of the Stanford community.

The driver approached a female student who was walking with her male friend on Arguello Way near Stern Hall. Though she had not requested a ride, the man told her he was a 5-SURE driver there to pick her up.

Beside the driver, there were two other individuals in the car: a female in the passenger seat and another individual of unspecified gender in the back. The two passengers were conversing and laughing, and did not appear to be in distress, according to the AlertSU notification.  

All 5-SURE cars are white, and labeled as being from 5-SURE. According to the AlertSU notification, the female student was suspicious of the man because his vehicle was unmarked.

Stanford Department of Public Safety advised those who observe similar incidents to call them at (650) 329-2413, but they are not aware of any at this time.

Contact Julia Ingram at jmingram ‘at’ stanford.edu.

Julia Ingram ’21 was The Daily's Volume 256 editor-in-chief. She is a New York City native majoring in English literature and working toward a career in news reporting. Contact her at jmingram ‘at’ stanford.edu.