Frost’s Student Openers: VII and Mammoth

As the Frost Music and Arts Festival draws near, the winners of the Stanford Concert Network’s Battle of the Bands competition — VII and Mammoth — prepare to perform as the student openers for headliners Kali Uchis and Jorja Smith.

Rapper Gabriel “VII” Townsell, DJ Noah “Big White” Anderson, and drummer Johny Weger have constructed a unique set of original hip-hop and rap music backed by live drum beats. In just a year of collaboration, Townsell and Anderson have written and produced over 100 songs, and have performed at events such as the Black Family Gathering Committee’s Blackfest and last year’s Battle of the Bands.

Mammoth, comprised of Jack Seigenthaler (vocals), Ben Josie (bass), Trent Peltz (keyboard), Thomas Chamberlain (guitar) and Max Klotz (drums), is a blues rock band that will showcase classic rock songs, in addition to their original work produced at the CCRMA. Together they have performed at a number of on campus venues, including San Francisco’s Museum of Ice Cream.

Check out VII on Spotify or on Instagram @gt.vii73 @noahthomasanderson @j_weeegz.

Check out Mammoth on Instagram @mammo.th.

Contact Matt Shimura at mshimura ‘at’ stanford.edu.