The Daily stands in solidarity with the Black community. Read our editors’ statement.

Sailing heads to SoCal for PCCSC Championship, rowing teams prepare for separate events

After a first-place showing at the St. Francis Invitational, sailing is gearing up for the Pacific Coast Collegiate Sailing Conference (PCCSC) Team Race Championship in San Diego. Women’s rowing will join sailing in SoCal for the San Diego Crew Classic, while the men’s team will stay close to home, hosting the Pac-12 Challenge at Redwood Shores.

In 14 races since the start of the spring season on March 9, No. 3 women’s rowing boasts an undefeated record against collegiate foes, and the team looks to keep up that pace this weekend. It will not be a row in the park, as the Cardinal will face a competitive field including the No. 1 Washington Huskies, No. 2 Cal Bear and No. 4 Texas Longhorns.

Men’s rowing, on the other hand, is just getting started, with races against Northeastern and Washington on Saturday, before facing Oregon State on Sunday. The Cardinal will look to settle in on home turf, or surf, this weekend, as the next two men’s rowing competitions — the Stanford Invitational from April 13-14 and a duel against Cal on April 27 — will also take place at Redwood Shores.

At the PCCSC Championship, sailing will face a cast of familiar crews, including the University of Hawaii Rainbows, California Maritime Academy (CMA) Keelhaulers, University of California at Santa Barbara (UCSB) Gauchos, University of Southern California (USC) Trojans, Cal Poly University S.L.O. Mustangs and University of California at Berkeley Bears.

After close wins over both UCSB and CMA in recent weeks, watch for the Cardinal to stay on guard against a relatively small field at the Championship.

Contact Holden Foreman at hs4man21 ‘at’ stanford.edu.

Holden Foreman '21 is the Vol. 257 president and editor-in-chief. He was the Vol. 256 executive editor (vice president). He was managing editor of news in Vol. 254 and student business director in Vol. 255. He hails from the city of St. Louis, Missouri and is studying computer science. Contact him at hs4man21 'at' stanford.edu.