Kimiko Hirota and Bryce Tuttle for ASSU Exec

There is no one else I can imagine that is more qualified, dedicated and poised to fill the roles of ASSU Exec than Kimiko Hirota and Bryce Tuttle. Kimiko and Bryce have demonstrated a continuous record of advocacy for marginalized communities on campus, including students of color, first-generation and/or low-income students, and students with disabilities. Their leadership continues to keep Stanford accountable while also taking opportunities to work with administration in implementing the change they advocate to see. My experiences in working both with Kimiko and Bryce through the Community Center Coalition campaign and as directors in the ASSU Executive cabinet this year make me confident and excited for the direction of change they will propel Stanford towards.

Though Bryce and Kimiko have many accomplishments behind them, I’d like to address how my personal experiences with both of them make me confident of their commitment to the well-being of students on campus. 

I met both Kimiko and Bryce through the Community Center Coalition campaign where we advocated for an increase in community center funding. Through this campaign, I witnessed Kimiko’s leadership and commitment to not only the communities I am a part of with El Centro Chicano y Latino, but to other communities of marginalized students. Kimiko was a groundbreaking force whocoordinated meetings between community center leaders to develop an organized campaign that would persuade the Vice Provost of Student Affairs to increase funding and resources for community centers. Her work in this campaign reflected her commitment for grassroots organizing that seeks to collaborate across communities before taking action. Her persistence in working with different administrators reflect her dedication to making sure Stanford supports its most marginalized students. I was also lucky to continue to work with Kimiko through the ASSU Executive cabinet. As co-directors of Community Centers and Diversity on the ASSU Executive cabinet, I have witnessed firsthand her advocacy with administration and her innovative thinking in our planning to support communities of color and advocating for faculty diversity training. It has been an honor to work with her through this role and to run into her supporting direct actions of other groups I am a part of including the Stanford Coalition for Planning an Equitable 2035 (SCoPE 2035). Her activist spirit has made our advocacy incredibly effective when talking to administrators.

Through ASSU Executive cabinet, I have also had the privilege of working with Bryce. Bryce has been a relentless and zealous advocate for the disability community. I have been lucky to witness Bryce spearhead the Disability Equity Now campaign, where he has focused on improving the student life of students with disabilities in all facets of their Stanford experience spanning from the academic experience to social life and residential living. His work involves advocating for a Disability Community Center and planning the first ever Disability Studies Conference on campus. His accomplishments are nothing short of impressive and reflect his visionary thinking in pushing Stanford not only to do better, but to embrace students with disabilities on this campus as equals with the accommodations they need. 

Kimiko and Bryce represent a campaign unlike others I have seen in my time at Stanford. They not only bring with them their ASSU experience, but also a community-driven, activist spirit that shows support and solidarity for all communities on campus.  

Contact Marisol Zarate at marisolz ‘at’ stanford.edu.