Stanford chosen as one of four hosts for 2019 Hall of Fame Classic

Stanford men’s basketball is scheduled to play in the 2019 Hall of Fame Classic next season in Kansas City, Missouri. The Cardinal will be joined by Butler, Missouri and Oklahoma for the two-day tournament at Kansas City’s Sprint Center on Nov. 25-26.

Part of the National Collegiate Basketball Hall of Fame Weekend, the championship tournament follows the 13th annual Hall of Fame ceremony on Nov. 24 and features four of the eight teams involved.

While all participating teams are guaranteed four games, only the four host schools — Butler, Missouri, Oklahoma and Stanford — will advance to the championship rounds at the Sprint Center. The remaining four teams, along with a schedule of matchups, will be announced at a later date.

In 2006, Stanford made their first and only tournament appearance, losing to an Air Force squad that would go on to place third overall.

Missouri returns to the classic for the fifth time and first since 2015. The Tigers won the inaugural tournament in 2001 and claimed the title again in 2011. Stanford has a 0-1 record against the Tigers after a 70-78 loss in November of 2012.

Against Butler, the Cardinal boast a 1-2 all-time record dating back to the schools’ first meeting in 1997. The Bulldogs will make their first appearance in the tournament in November.

Stanford leads Oklahoma 2-1 all-time in their three meetings. The two schools have not faced each other since 1997, as the Sooners seek to even the record in their first appearance at the tournament.

Stanford’s most recent inductee into the Hall of Fame came in 2016 when former men’s basketball head coach Mike Montgomery was presented the honor. Montgomery is most notably known for returning the Cardinal to the NCAA Tournament after a 40 year drought. During his 18-year tenure at Stanford, Montgomery led the team to 12 NCAA Tournament appearances, including a trip to the Final Four in 1998.

Contact Alejandro Salinas ‘at’ stanford.edu.

Alejandro Salinas '21 is a Senior Staff Writer after serving as the Managing Editor of Sports for two volumes. Hailing from Pasadena, CA, he studies computer science and biology as a junior. In his free time he enjoys running, playing with dogs and watching sports. Contact him at asalinas 'at' stanforddaily.com.