Beyond their platforms: a look at the 2019 ASSU candidates

JULIA INGRAM / The Stanford Daily

A record number of candidates are running for Associated Students of Stanford University (ASSU) this spring. With elections just over four weeks away, The Daily surveyed candidates for Undergraduate Senate, Class President and Executive to learn about their lives at Stanford.

Out of the five slates for Executive, six slates for Class President and 43 Undergraduate Senate candidates, all but 13 senatorial candidates responded to the survey. The Daily learned that the candidates’ majors, preferred study spots and favorite dining halls varied widely, but a few trends emerged.

Stern Dining dominated as the favorite dining hall among candidates, with more than half of those running for Class President listing it as their choice. Casper was a close second, despite no executive slate naming it as their favorite spot to eat.

Overall, candidates slightly prefer to study at Stanford Law School, but the survey showed that candidates study all over campus. No single major dominates the candidates, but many of the freshman candidates are not declared yet and only offered prospective majors.

Campaigning for ASSU Elections begins Monday, April 1 — with elections taking place on Wednesday, April 11 and Thursday, April 12.

Contact Zora Ilunga-Reed at zora814 ‘at’ stanford.edu, Patrick Monreal at pmonreal ‘at’ stanford.edu and Lily Zhou at lilyzhou ‘at’ stanford.edu.

Patrick Monreal

Patrick Monreal

Patrick Monreal '22 is a desk editor for the Student Groups beat in news and contributes satire to The Grind. He is a native of Fresno, California, and is interested in studying the natural sciences, public policy and the intersection of the two, especially when it comes to environmental issues. Contact him at pmonreal 'at' stanford.edu.