Accessibility statementSkip to main content
We need your help: All banner donations made today will support The Daily's new staff financial aid program.
Learn more and donate.

Beyond their platforms: a look at the 2019 ASSU candidates

By , and

A record number of candidates are running for Associated Students of Stanford University (ASSU) this spring. With elections just over four weeks away, The Daily surveyed candidates for Undergraduate Senate, Class President and Executive to learn about their lives at Stanford.

Out of the five slates for Executive, six slates for Class President and 43 Undergraduate Senate candidates, all but 13 senatorial candidates responded to the survey. The Daily learned that the candidates’ majors, preferred study spots and favorite dining halls varied widely, but a few trends emerged.

Stern Dining dominated as the favorite dining hall among candidates, with more than half of those running for Class President listing it as their choice. Casper was a close second, despite no executive slate naming it as their favorite spot to eat.

Overall, candidates slightly prefer to study at Stanford Law School, but the survey showed that candidates study all over campus. No single major dominates the candidates, but many of the freshman candidates are not declared yet and only offered prospective majors.

Campaigning for ASSU Elections begins Monday, April 1 — with elections taking place on Wednesday, April 11 and Thursday, April 12.

Contact Zora Ilunga-Reed at zora814 ‘at’ stanford.edu, Patrick Monreal at pmonreal ‘at’ stanford.edu and Lily Zhou at lilyzhou ‘at’ stanford.edu.

The author's profile picture

Zora Ilunga-Reed is a columnist and a junior studying Philosophy & Literature. A native New Yorker, she was a Copy Editor, Desk Editor and Staff Writer in volumes past. Read her column if you want to hear her thoughts on the woes of humanities students, tech culture and more.
The author's profile picture

Patrick Monreal '22 is the forefather of the satire section. He still kind of hangs around meetings and pretends to contribute to news. A native of Fresno, California, he is majoring in Earth Systems on the oceans track and minoring in chemistry. Contact him at pmonreal 'at' stanford.edu.