Sailing heads to Mount Pleasant after grabbing the gold in Redwood City

After sailing to success for the second straight weekend on home water at the McIntyre Team Race this past weekend and placing as runners-up at the Charleston Women’s Regatta, the Cardinal look to grab another win out east in Mt. Pleasant, SC, at the Bob Bavier Team Race this weekend.

The Cardinal opened the spring season by nabbing gold at the Bryson Women’s in the San Francisco Bay with a 15-1 record at the team race event. Stanford’s pairings for the race were freshman skipper John Kirkpatrick and freshman crew Laurel Foster, skipper freshman Telis Athanasopoulos Yogo and sophomore crew Mathew Hogan, and freshman skipper Wiley Rogers and sophomore crew Victoria Thompson. This same lineup finished second at the Nelson Roltsch Team Race last week at Tulane. Stanford went for a perfect 9-0 in the round robin competition and went 4-0 in the Gold Round before completing with a 2-1 in the Final Four.

Despite the rough weather conditions that cut the Charleston Women’s to a one-day competition, the Cardinal still managed to finish second out of ten schools with a total of 67 points, just ahead of the Charleston Cougars (81 points) and close behind George Washington (58 points).

Sophomore skipper Stephanie Houck and freshman crew Ashton Borcherding were second overall in the A division with 34 points, finishing strong in the top four in nine of the 10 races, including one hard-fought victory and two stellar second-place finishes. Meanwhile, freshman skipper Camille White and senior Cassie Obel sailed their own journeys, placing second in the B division with 33 points, with four second-place finishes and four third-place showings.

Watch the Cardinal gear up for another weekend in Charleston for the Bob Bavier Team Race, as they channel major Popeye Spinach energy and look to be “strong to the finish.”

Contact Asia Zhang at asiaz ‘at’ stanford.edu.