15 thoughts I have on rainy days

First of all, I should preface this article by saying that I’m from Southern California, where weather doesn’t exist. Because I’m used to sunny, 70-degree weather year-round, any amount of rain is a lot of rain, and at this point, it’s been raining at Stanford for over a week. And let me just tell you: I hate the rain. Sure, if I could cozy up with a fuzzy blanket, a long book and endless amounts of hot chai tea from Coupa, I’d be set. But let’s be real, it’s winter quarter, and I have places to be. I can’t simply hide from the rain in my dorm room. Here are 15 thoughts running through my brain during this stormy start to winter quarter:

1. Ugh, it’s raining again. It’s been raining for the past three days and according to the weather app it’s NEVER going to stop.
  2. Do I have to go to class? I really, really, really would rather stay under this nice fuzzy blanket in my warm, cozy bed.
  3. I have face the rain eventually to go to practice, so I should just go to class and brave the rain now. Plus, my class only has 10 people in it, so they will for sure notice that I’m gone.
  4. Where is my rain jacket? Seriously, did I forget to bring an actual rain jacket to school? Do I even own a proper rain jacket?
  5. I guess I’ll just wear this gigantic, bright red puffy parka thing. It’s definitely not waterproof, but at least it has a hood.
  6. Maybe it will stop raining by the time I get outside.
  7. Nope, it’s still raining.
  8. Should I bike or walk? Biking in the rain is awful, but if I walk it will take 20 minutes and it’s already 10:25 a.m. Plus, I don’t even own an umbrella.
  9. I have five minutes to get to class. I definitely have to bike and I should definitely hurry up.
  10. How do I keep my hood on while I’m biking? Keeping one hand on my hood and the other on my handlebars doesn’t seem very safe on this slippery road. Also, I have absolutely zero peripheral vision in this gigantic red puffy parka thing. This is really, really not safe.
  11. I should check the weather again and see if there’s a chance of thunder and lightning. Then at least practice would be canceled.
  12. I wonder if it will stop raining by the time I’m out of lecture.
  13. Nope, no lightning until after practice, but it still says it’s going to rain for the next week straight.
  14. Ugh, when is it going to stop raining?
  15. Sun, I hope to see you soon.

Contact Aria Fischer at afisch ‘at’ stanford.edu.