Attempted strong arm robbery off El Camino Real reported, suspect still at-large

An unidentified man was reported to have attempted to rob another man at 9 p.m. on Leland Avenue on Tuesday night, the Palo Alto Police Department (PAPD) reported. An AlertSU notice was sent out to the Stanford community at 9:29 p.m. The suspect remains at large.

Leland Avenue is located off of El Camino Real between Stanford Avenue and Park Avenue.

The suspect, described as a black male in his forties, was reported to have demanded the victim’s cell phone, a PAPD press release stated. When the victim refused, the suspect took a swing at him and missed. The suspect then chased the victim westbound down Leland Avenue for an undetermined distance.

Moments prior, the victim reported that he observed the suspect demand an iPad from another pedestrian, who also refused and ran away.

The press release also notes that the suspect was wearing a black hooded sweatshirt and pants and is approximately six feet tall, 200 pounds and bald.

Detectives are currently investigating the incident, and the PAPD encourages anyone with information about the incident to contact the PAPD’s 24 dispatch center at 650-329-2413.

Contact Julia Ingram at jmingram ‘at’ stanford.edu.

Julia Ingram ’21 was The Daily's Volume 256 editor-in-chief. She is a New York City native majoring in English literature and working toward a career in news reporting. Contact her at jingram ‘at’ stanforddaily.com.