Blend @ Annette’s Café to open in new science quad

Blend @ Annette’s Café will open in winter quarter as part of the University’s “new science quad,” the School of Humanities and Sciences (H&S) announced on Wednesday.

The café, operated by siblings and local business owners Marc Lao and Jeeryn Dang, will be located between the Sapp Center for Science Teaching and Learning (STLC) and the Anne T. and Robert M. Bass Biology Research Building. Breakfast, lunch and dinner will be served weekdays from 8 a.m. until 9 p.m.

The menu features Asian-style dishes, including rice bowls and noodles. Dang and Lao, who have Chinese and Filipino heritage, drew inspiration for Blend from the diversity of Asian food they cooked growing up, as well as from Sunnyvale’s Magic Wok, a family-owned and operated restaurant established by their parents in 1989.

“Family is at the cornerstone of our values,” Dang wrote in an email to The Daily. “Our cuisine is reflective of foods that we have connections to and have stories about.”

Dang added that a priority of Blend @ Annette’s Café would be to convey its family-oriented environment and service.

“There is a strong sense of support in family-owned businesses that extends to the care and concern for employees and the community as a whole,” Dang said. “We believe these values are beneficial to have in a community.”

According to Dang,  H&S Assistant Director of Facilities and Capital Planning Shannon Silva recommended that Dang and Lao participate in the selection process after dining at Magic Wok.

The selection process included a taste test conducted by a group of more than 100 students, staff and faculty in August. During the taste test, three vendors presented samples and menus.

Participants of the taste test emphasized the variety in Blend’s menu, which includes a traditional Filipino breakfast of garlic rice and fried egg, soups and bowls made to order with ingredients such as tofu, mixed greens and kimchi.

Blend @ Annette’s Cafe will also offer gluten-free and vegetarian items, as well as pastries and coffee.

Additionally, the availability of affordable evening dining on campus was an important factor in the selection process, according to Silva. Blend @ Annette’s Cafe will not accept meal plan dollars, however.

“We are particularly excited to become a part of the dynamic and diverse Stanford community where we will be surrounded by people who are continuously learning and growing,” Dang wrote.  

This article has been updated to reflect the change in the Café’s projected opening from late Jan. to winter quarter.

Contact Karen Kurosawa at karen16 ‘at’ stanford.edu.

Karen is a Desk Editor for the University beat. She is also a member of The Daily's Special Projects team, where she works on initiatives including The Stanford Daily Winter Externship. Contact her at karen16 'at' stanford.edu.