Kairos, Phi Psi flooded due to pipe breakage

KAREN KUROSAWA/The Stanford Daily

On Sunday evening, a water main break led to roadway flooding and closures on Santa Ynez Street between Mayfield and Costanzo, causing flooding at Kairos and Phi Kappa Psi.

According to Stanford University Department of Public Safety spokesperson Bill Larson, efforts are mainly focused on preventing flooding of residences.

“[The fire department] has reduced how much water is flowing,” Larson said at 8 p.m. on Sunday. “Everyone is out there right now — they’re now trying to get the water shut off to prevent any flooding of residences.”

An AlertSU notification was sent out at about the same time.

According to Kairos resident Brian Morris ’20, the breakage led to a lack of running water in the house, which affected residents’ ability to complete house jobs.

“I can’t use the bathroom, which is pretty inconvenient,” Morris said. “I was on bathroom clean, but I’m not sure if that’s still going to happen.”

Phi Kappa Psi and Grove also experienced a halt in access to running water.

“Our hearts go out to our fraternity brothers,” Morris added.

According to an email from Interim Associate Vice Provost and Dean of Residential Education (ResEd) Koren Bakkegard to Kairos staff, potential damages to residents’ property or affected houses will be addressed.

“Row staff will follow up with you in the morning to assess other needs for the community,” the email read. “From the sound of it at this time, facilities staff are responding to the situation and while there is a lot of activity, no residents are displaced from their rooms, and food service should not be impacted.”

Santa Ynez Street and Constanzo Road were reopened at 11:05 p.m., according to an AlertSU update.

This article was updated to include that Phi Kappa Psi and Grove did not have running water and to include the road reopening.

This report will be updated as more details come to light.

Contact Karen Kurosawa at karen16 ‘at’ stanford.edu.