Public Safety increases patrols, calls for witness accounts after 680 Lomita break-in

Following a Nov. 24 burglary at 680 Lomita, Stanford University Department of Public Safety (SUDPS) spokesperson Bill Larson told The Daily that SUDPS has “increased patrols around the dorms.” He also provided more details regarding the burglary, noting that the ongoing investigation limits what information can be made publicly available.

Student Affairs spokesperson Pat Harris elaborated on the increased patrols, writing in an email to The Daily that security patrols were increased “for the affected house in the immediate aftermath [of the burglary].”

According to Larson, two separate rooms were entered during the burglary, after the perpetrator entered through an unsecured window of one room. Four men’s watches were removed from one room, and a lock box containing the victim’s documents — including foreign currency and personally-identifying documents — was removed from the other.

Larson declined to elaborate more on the details of the increased patrols, citing security reasons.

According to Harris, ResEd took additional measures to respond to the burglary, advising 680 Lomita student staff to “hold a house meeting outlining sound security practice to minimize such incidents in the future” and sending the staff instructions to remind residents of “sound practice to secure their building and belongings.”

An investigation into the 680 Lomita burglary is ongoing. Larson requested that anyone who observed suspicious behavior around the building at the date and time of the burglary contact the SUDPS 24-hour line at (650) 329-2413 and reference Case No. SR18-1997F.

Contact Holden Foreman at hs4man ‘at’ stanford.edu.

Holden Foreman '21 was the Vol. 258-59 chief technology officer. Holden was president and editor-in-chief in Vol. 257, executive editor (vice president) in Vol. 256, managing editor of news in Vol. 254 and student business director in Vol. 255.