Charles D. Young elected to five-year term on Board of Trustees

Charles D. Young ’91 MBA ’03 has been elected as the newest member of the Board of Trustees. Currently the chief operating officer (COO) and executive vice president of the real estate company Invitation Homes, he will join the Trustees on Saturday.

Board of Trustees Chair Jeff Raikes ’80 cited Young’s “experience leading organizations through change and other complex issues” as a reason for his selection to the Board.

“[Young’s] record of service shows he cares deeply about Stanford’s commitment to supporting a vibrant learning community,” Raikes told Stanford News.

Young has served on various boards and committees, including the Alumni Committee on Trustee Nominations, Stanford Athletics Board and Humanities & Sciences Council. Currently, he is a member of the Graduate School of Business Management Board and an independent board member of Federal Home Loan Bank of Chicago, a bank created by Congress to promote home ownership.

As an undergraduate, Young played halfback for Stanford’s football team and later became a player in the World League of American Football.

Young’s business background is in real estate. He has served as an executive vice president at Mesa Development, where he oversaw the development of buildings in Chicago and Northern California. Before that, he worked for Goldman Sachs and co-founded The Kaleidoscope Group, a strategic diversity and management consulting firm. He also served as a senior division vice president of SWAY Management and as a regional vice president of Waypoint Real Estate Group HoldCo. He took his position at Invitation Homes following the merger of Starwood Waypoint Homes and Invitation Homes in 2017.

Young’s term on the board will last five years.

Contact Michael Espinosa at mesp2021 ‘at’ stanford.edu.

Michael Espinosa '22 is majoring in international relations. He's the head of The Daily's social media team, and editor for the University beat and also occasionally writes for sports, arts, and The Grind. He's the biggest Taylor Swift fan at Stanford and the proudest New Yorker you will ever meet. Contact him at mespinosa 'at' stanforddaily.com.