Women’s golf travels to Georgia for East Lake Cup

The No. 4 women’s golf team is traveling to Atlanta, Georgia, to compete in the coveted East Lake Cup. Among a competitive field that consists of eight semi-finalists from the 2018 NCAA Division I national championship, including defending champions Arizona, the women’s team will be teeing off against some of the best teams from last year’s national championship.

The excitement and thrill from NCAA tournament earlier this year is back with a new flavor. This time, teams will get another shot at bringing down Arizona, which managed to fight its way through an amazing bracket run, coming all the way from the eighth seed.

The team mostly consists of juniors and seniors with several strong underclassmen. Experience will surely be a factor for the Cardinal. This team has been through adversity before. They know what to expect and how to perform at a high level.

A veteran on the team, junior Andrea Lee, brings a lot of experience to the team. Lee participated in the 2018 U.S Open and made the first team all Pac-12 as a sophomore.

Lee is not an outlier, though, as junior Ziyi Wang won the 2014 Xiamen challenge at only 16 years old with a score of eight under to be deemed the youngest person to reach this achievement.

This team is accomplished on multiple ends and has been the talk for quite a while as being a team that has “yet to develop.”

After a strong second place showing at the Stanford Intercollegiate last weekend, the women’s golf team looks to solidify their growth with a strong performance at the East Lake Cup, satisfying the vengeance from last season and putting them on course for a commanding championship run in a few months.

Tournament competition in Georgia begins today and is scheduled to end Wednesday.

Contact Julio Ballista at juliob ‘at’ stanford.edu.