Macario boosts women’s soccer to win over Washington

No. 1 Stanford remains unbeaten through 38 total games

Sophomore forward Catarina Macario (above) scored both goals for the Cardinal to boost them to a 2-0 victory over the Washington Huskies. (ERIN CHANG/isiphotos.com)

Sophomore Catarina Macario is on a roll, scoring No. 1 Stanford’s (15-0-1) two goals in their victory on the road against the Washington Huskies (7-9-1) on Thursday, winning their 38th consecutive game at 2-0. Macario scored two goals for Stanford in their prior game against Colorado.

Stanford’s win was hardly unexpected: They have been on a streak of shutouts and Washington has been on a five-game losing streak.

However the Huskies put up a noble fight, holding off Stanford’s offense for 25 minutes until freshman Abby Greubel broke through in the 26th minute and crossed one into the box for Macario. Washington’s defense dangerously handled the ball and gave way for a penalty kick that Macario neatly buried.

Four minutes later the Huskies almost secured a tie with a free kick 30 yards from the goal, but senior goalkeeper Alison Jahansouz protected the shot. Jahansouz soon after beat away a second free kick to guard Stanford’s streak of shutouts.

Stanford came out of the halftime fired up to extend their lead: From the midfield, senior Jordan DiBiasi passed a soaring assist to Macario, who, from the top of the left box, curled the ball inside the far post.

The Huskies continued to put pressure on Stanford and were able to fend off close shots by juniors Beattie Goad and Carly Malatskey. Meanwhile, Jahansouz and Stanford’s back line held their own against Washington’s offense.

Washington ended up matching Stanford in number of shots, both walking away with eight apiece, but Stanford edged them out in shots on goal (5-4) and corner kicks (4-1). The end of the game marked Stanford’s 551:52 minutes without allowing a single goal.

Stanford continues its normal conference season against Washington State (10-5) this Sunday, with kickoff at 2 p.m. PST. Stanford is expected to continue their victory run away from home against the Cougars, who have also been on a five-game losing streak.

Contact Lilia Chang at lchang19 ‘at’ stanford.edu.