Field hockey one game away from a perfect conference season

No. 21 Stanford field hockey will look to go out strong this Friday against Pacific

Sophomore attacker Corinne Zanolli (above) leads the team with 21 goals scored on the year, and is often the spark the team needs to win games. (LYNDSAY RADNEDGE/isiphotos.com)

No. 21 Stanford field hockey (13-4, 5-0 America East) gears up for the last game of their regular season against Pacific (9-7, 3-2 America East) this Friday at 7 p.m. on the Varsity Turf.

Triumphing over Pacific in their last two games earlier this season, by scores of 2-1 and 4-2, the Cardinal seeks to slam a third win in to end their electrifying season. Currently holding a five-game winning streak, Stanford is en route to claim the title of a perfect conference regular season, last held by Stanford in 2014 as a member of the NorPac conference.

Banging another win in against UC Davis (6-12, 0-7 America East) in a 3-0 shutout on Wednesday afternoon on the road, the Cardinal is fired up and ready for another goal slamming game.

Championing over the Pacific Tigers in the their matchups last Friday (4-2), with sophomore Corinne Zanolli leading the Cardinal into a 2-0 lead (her 21st goal of the season) only minutes into the second half, assisted by freshman Fenella Scutt, junior Jessica Welch (crushing the game with eight assists this season), and junior Phoebe Crosthwaite (killing it with six assists this season). Freshman Molly Redgrove, really feeling her red-groove, sunk one in the net with assists from junior Kennedy Schumacher and Fenella Scutt shortly after Pacific’s Rylee Comeau cut the Cardinal lead in half, placing her at five goals and five assists in her first year playing collegiately. Phoebe Crosthwaite, inspired by the raging fire of the Cardinal spirit, put one in the box a mere four minutes later (her fifth goal of this season), finishing off the winning game with the Cardinal’s fourth and final goal.

Having finally triumphed with a 4-0 sweep over UC Davis after a two-game losing streak against William & Mary and Stanford, the Pacific Tigers are seeking further redemption tomorrow night. Certainly not lacking talent with senior attacker Kriekie van Wyk, selected to join the South African national team for the 2018 Women’s Hockey World Cup in London and leading the Tigers with 15 goals this season, and sophomore goalkeeper Marlise van Tonder, safe guarding the net with a strong 0.735 save percentage this season, the Tigers are ready to roar at the Varsity Turf.

Hoping to “stick” with their game winning streak, the Cardinal is going to give the Tigers a rough time Friday night at 7 p.m. at the Varsity Turf, as they finish the regular season off with bang!

Contact Asia Zhang at asiaz ‘at’ stanford.edu.