Women’s volleyball embarks on two-week road trip

The first stop for the No. 2 Cardinal? The Oregon State Beavers this Friday

Junior libero Morgan Hentz (above) is the reigning Pac-12 defensive player of the week, and leads the league in digs per set. (ERIN CHANG/isiphotos.com)

Stanford’s No. 2 ranked women’s volleyball team (16-1, 8-0 Pac-12) heads north to play the Oregon State Beavers (10-10, 0-8) this Friday at 7 p.m. PST. This will mark the beginning of a four-game road trip for the Cardinal, who will not return to Maples Pavilion until Friday, Nov. 2 against Colorado.

After a dominating (though brief) homestay last week, the Cardinal extended their current win streak to 14 games, with a pair of 3-0 victories against Washington and Washington State. Both games were played in front of an electrifying crowd at Maples Pavillion, where the Cardinal’s offensive capabilities were put on full display. In both games, junior outside hitter Kathryn Plummer led all players in kills (16 against Washington State and 17 against Washington), and junior setter Jenna Gray led all players in assists (39 and 38, respectively). Stanford also commanded the defensive game, finishing both contests with 11 blocks, versus their opponent’s seven.

While the Cardinal continue their rampage through the Pac-12, Oregon State is still trying to find steady footing, seeking their first conference win of the season. In this particular matchup, however, history is not on the Beavers’ side, as Stanford holds a perfect 66-0 record against the Oregon State all time. Despite these odds, the Beavers’ defense should not be taken lightly, ranking 2nd in the Pac-12 in blocks at 2.63 per set.

Up next, the Cardinal will face off against the Oregon Ducks (12-6, 5-3), before heading south to finish off their road trip against USC (15-5, 7-2) and UCLA (10-5, 5-3).

Contact Stephen Ren at rensteph ‘at’ stanford.edu.