Michael Keller named Vice Provost for Teaching and Learning

Vice Provost for University Libraries and University Press Michael Keller is transitioning from an interim to full-time position as Vice Provost for Teaching and Learning, effective immediately, according to a recent announcement by Provost Persis Drell.

Keller, who has held the interim role since April 1, served as University librarian for nearly 25 years. In addition, Keller is the Ida M. Green University Librarian and has long campaigned for the integration of technology and education. He introduced the Coursework platform in 2004, and helped ensure Stanford Libraries and Stanford’s HighWire Press became early partners with Google platform such as Google Scholar and Google Book Search.

Beginning in January 2019, physics professor Sarah Church will serve as Senior Associate Vice Provost for Teaching and Learning. Church has been a Stanford faculty member since 1999 and has served as senior associate vice provost for Vice Provost Harry Elam – helping to manage the Office of the Vice Provost for Undergraduate Education (VPUE) and undergraduate education – since 2016.

In addition, Church served as director of the Hansen Experimental Physics Laboratory from 2013 to 2016, and as the deputy director of the Kavli Institute for Particle Astrophysics and Cosmology from 2007 to 2011.

Keller and Church’s appointments follow the efforts of a faculty task force established last year to aid VPTL’s mission in supporting University vision and goals, otherwise known as long-range planning. The task force has identified six important learning and teaching goals ranging from ensuring educational quality to providing engaging platforms that will support Stanford’s mission.

Drell and Keller have also created a faculty advisory board, composed of six senior professors, to support VPTL’s mission.

Contact Aparna Verma at averma2 ‘at’ stanford.edu.

A wild soul with a love for prose, adventure and the sea. Doesn't quite know how to swim, but we'll get there someday.