Men’s and women’s soccer back on the Farm

The No. 1 women and the No. 12 men play successive home matches this Sunday

Star sophomore forward Catarina Macario (above) leads the Stanford women with seven goals on the season. (ERIN CHANG/isiphotos.com)

This Sunday packs a pair of home games for Cardinal soccer, when the No. 1-ranked women’s team (13-0-1, 6-0-0) will host the Colorado Buffaloes (12-0-3, 4-0-2) at 12pm, and later at 3 p.m. the No. 12-ranked men’s team (7-2-3, 4-1-0) will seek to fend off the Washington Huskies (8-6-0, 3-3-0) in a rematch of the previous Sunday’s contest.

For the women’s team, the match against Colorado marks the last home game of the regular season. The Cardinal continue their momentum with a six-game win streak and 36-game unbeaten streak, stemming from August of 2017. In addition, the Cardinal have won their last 24 matches against other Pac-12 opponents.

The Buffaloes have built up a Pac-12 streak of their own, having won their past three conference matches. Colorado joins Stanford and Georgetown in being the only undefeated programs in the nation. However, when facing off against Stanford, the Cardinal are the ones that truly own the undefeated streak, being 9-0-0 against Colorado all time.

Heading into the game against Washington, the men’s team seeks to defend their current Pac-12 standing, tied at first with UCLA. The Cardinal’s last match against Washington was just this past Sunday, where they outlasted the Huskies 3-2 in double overtime.

Though Stanford stands at 20-34-6 all time against Washington, they have won their last three most recent matchups, including last Sunday’s double-overtime thriller. Both teams always show up when facing one another, as of the last seven matches between the two programs, all have been decided by only one goal.

Looking ahead, the women’s team will end the season with a four-game road trip starting with Washington next Thursday, and the men’s team will finish their three-game homestay against Denver on Friday.

Contact Stephen Ren at rensteph ‘at’ stanford.edu.