Men’s soccer returns home for Oregon State

After a road trip up North, the No. 12 men’s soccer team will host Pac-12 opponent Oregon State tonight at Cagan Stadium

Senior midfielder Amir Bashti leads the team with six goals. Bashti and the men's soccer team will be looking for redemption after losing to Oregon State last week. (JIM SHORIN/isiphotos.com)

Ending its Pacific Northwest road trip, No. 12 Stanford men’s soccer (7-2-3, 4-1-0 Pac-12) returns home to take on Oregon State (7-4-2, 3-2-0 Pac-12) tonight in the programs’ second meeting of the season.

The game marks the halfway mark of the conference season, and the Cardinal are currently tied for first in the Pac-12 with UCLA (8-4-0, 4-1-0).

Stanford’s only conference loss of the season was dealt by the Beavers last week, when Oregon State took down the Cardinal 0-1 in Corvallis. The only score of that game came from Beaver forward Glorie Amanda off of an assist by midfielder Sofiane Djeffal. This was Stanford’s first lost to the Beavers since Oct. 23, 2011. The Cardinal has not lost consecutively to the Beavers since 2003.

Stanford enter the game coming off of a double overtime 3-2 win at Washington, while the Beavers are on a two game winning streak, having beaten both California and Stanford last week.

The Cardinal are 36-7-5 all-time against Oregon State since 1988, and they are 11-1-1 under coach Jeremy Gunn. Stanford hopes to capitalize on home field advantage tonight and is unbeaten in their last eight Pac-12 games at Laird Q. Cagan Stadium.

Players to watch on the Cardinal side include senior midfielder/forward Amir Bashti and freshman forward Zach Ryan, who lead the team in goals with six and five respectively. Additionally, freshman goalkeeper Andrew Thomas currently has 39 saves this season. A player to watch on the opposition is midfielder Hassani Dotson, the current Pac-12 Player of the Week.

Kick off is at 8:00 p.m. tonight at Laird Q. Cagan Stadium.

Contact Cybele Zhang at cybelez ‘at’ stanford.edu