Men’s tennis takes singles title and doubles runner-up

Sophomore Timothy Sah took the Aggie Invitational A Flight title with a victory in straight sets over Cal’s Dominic Barretto Sunday, after losing to him in doubles just the day before. It was the first singles title for Sah, a 5’8” San Diego native who went 18-9 in doubles last season with his partner David Wilczynski.

Sah entered the singles tournament as the sixth seed before handily defeating UC Davis’ Chethan Swanson in the first round in straight sets, 6-3, 6-3. After taking down Santa Clara’s Arthur Neuhaus (6-4, 6-2) in the second round, Sah wore down Portland’s Carlos Donat in three long sets to head to the finals. Donat dominated the first set (2-6), before Sah rallied back to take the second set in tiebreak (7-5) and finished off the match strong (6-1) in the third.

Sah had already played Donat and Barretto each once before during the doubles tournament, alongside Stanford teammate and fellow sophomore Sam Turchetta. In the Round of 16, Sah/Turchetta dominated Carlos Donat/Sema Pankin 8-3, before taking down Nevada’s Jeremy Merville/Jonathan Aremon 8-5 in the quarterfinals. Cal’s Dominic Barretto/Mert Zincirli finally ended the duo’s winning streak in the semifinals 8-3, before taking down Stanford’s freshman duo of Sangeet Sridhar and Tomas Kopczynski in the finals 8-3.

Ending as doubles’ runner-ups, Sridhar/Kopczynski had taken down the University of the Pacific’s John Horoz Garner/Jonathan Lieu (8-5), UC Davis’ Chethan Swanson/David Goulak (8-8-6) and Portland’s Lefteris Neos/Tom Hahn (8-3) before falling to Baretto/Zincirli.

The tournament was the first of six invitationals in which the Cardinal will compete this quarter. This week, the team is heading down to Tulsa for the ITA All-American Championships.

Contact Shan Reddy at rsreddy ‘at’ stanford.edu.

Shan Reddy '22 is The Daily's Financial Officer, Business Team Director and a desk editor for the sports section covering Stanford football and tennis. Contact him at sreddy 'at' stanforddaily.com.