Female reports forceful rape on Stanford’s campus

Aug. 21, 2018, 1:05 a.m.

A woman reported that she was raped on Stanford’s campus, according to an AlertSU report released early Tuesday morning.

She said that physical force was involved in the assault, which authorities believe occurred on Sunday night or Monday morning. 

Stanford Hospital notified Stanford’s Department of Public Safety of the incident, according to University spokesperson E.J. Miranda. Stanford Hospital is required to report incidents of this sort to law enforcement.

“There is limited information regarding the reported assault as the victim has chosen to remain anonymous and has not provided a statement,” Miranda wrote in a statement to The Daily on Tuesday afternoon.

Public Safety does not presently have further information about the assault, according to the AlertSU report. Authorities encourage those with knowledge of the incident to contact Public Safety officials at 650.329.2413.

The Clery Act-compliant crime notification encouraged community members who are or who know survivors of sexual assault to consider resources — ranging from confidential support to medical care to help filing a Title IX report — made available by the University.

This article has been updated with comment from University spokesperson E.J. Miranda. 

Contact Courtney Douglas at ccdouglas ‘at’ stanford.edu.

Courtney Douglas worked for The Daily from 2016 to 2020, and served as editor-in-chief of Volume 254.