Stanford athletics wins dual Capital One Cup awards

July 20, 2018, 12:03 a.m.

On July 13, it was announced that the Stanford Athletics Department had received the the Capital One Cup for both its men’s and women’s programs. This is the first time in the history of the Cup that a school has earned the award twice-over.

The Capital One Cup is given to the school with the best performing athletics departments, one for the women’s and one for the men’s. This year is the fifth time the Cardinal women receive the honor and the second time the men do. It is the second consecutive win for the Stanford women.

The award comes with a physical trophy along with a combined $400,000 in student-athlete scholarships.

The Stanford women’s department of athletics had an extremely successful year that saw top-5 placements in cross country (fourth), volleyball (fourth), water polo (second), outdoor track and field (third), golf (third) and rowing (fourth). The Cardinal also won national championships in soccer, swimming and diving and tennis. The final standings saw Stanford in first for the award, with UCLA coming in second and Florida in third.

The men’s department may owe its success to Stanford’s fourth place finishes in water polo, cross country and gymnastics, along with top-10 finishes in swimming and diving, tennis and outdoor track and field. The win was solidified by the men’s soccer team becoming national champions — for the third consecutive year.

Runner-ups for the Capital One Cup were Alabama in second place, Duke in third and Ohio State in fourth.

Contact Laura Sussman at laura111 ‘at’ Stanford.edu