Kairos house staff fired for ‘unreported’ incident

No house staff members remain in Row house Kairos following the revelation of “an incident that went unreported” in October, multiple sources have confirmed to The Daily. As of Wednesday night, all staff members have been fired, excluding one member who quit. All staff members have since been ordered to move out of the house.

A resident reported the October incident to Residential Education (ResEd) this month, multiple sources said.

Student Affairs Director of Communications and Web Strategy Elaine Ray wrote in a statement to The Daily that the University would not offer details on the specific events that led to the staff members’ dismissal. However, she did emphasize that residential staff members are required to report “certain behaviors” to Residence Deans, namely incidents that endanger students.

“Failing to report such incidents in a timely fashion may not only prolong potential harm to the victim or victims, but can also negatively impact the residential community while compromising the trust between student and professional staff,” Ray wrote.

Ray said that the staff members who were dismissed are being reassigned to other residences on campus for the remainder of the quarter, and that they will not lose their housing.

Some have expressed concern that with staff making up nearly a fifth of the house, multiple chores and tasks associated with the house will not be completed, given that as a co-op house, all managerial duties are conducted by residents.

Ray said that ResEd is working with residents of the co-op to “mitigate interruptions,” specifically related to food service. Ray also said that ResEd has reached out to students affected by the change.

“Residential Education is committed to preserving the co-op tradition in Kairos and ensuring the overall co-op community continues to thrive,” Ray wrote.

Staff members are currently appealing the decision to ResEd.

The Daily has reached out to Kairos house staff for comment on this matter.

This story will be updated as more details come to light.

Contact Claire Wang at clwang32 ‘at’ stanford.edu and Courtney Douglas at ccd4 ‘at’ stanford.edu.  

Claire Wang is The Daily's Vol. 254 magazine editor, and previously served as Vol. 253's managing editor of news. She's a fan of anything with tomatoes in it, and her favorite poet is Ocean Vuong. When she's not biking, her second-favorite mode of transportation is by rollerblade. Contact Claire at clwang32 'at' stanford.edu.