A guide to vegan food on and around campus

So you’ve decided to take the plunge. You avoided the influence of Bay Area culture for as long as possible, but you buckled under the allure of soy mint CREAM sandwiches and the prospect of saving the planet, loving the animals, all that jazz. You’re going vegan. Luckily, there aren’t many better places to do it — start with one of these (omnivore-approved!) dishes, and there’s no turning back.

1. CoHo Edamame Salad: Its colossal size makes it better as a meal than as a study snack, but this is probably my favorite vegan dish on campus. If you’re risk-averse, I’d recommend asking for the dressing on the side because it’s usually laid on pretty thick, but CoHo does not disappoint with the ideal greens-to-soybean ratio. You can also add fried tofu if you’re feeling particularly vegan-y. Go crazy.
  2. Coupa Hummus Plate: This is the epitome of tried and true. Hummus is any good vegan’s best friend, and you can keep it classic with pita or substitute vegetables — it’s really impossible to go wrong.
  3. Stern Dining Lemon Lentil Soup: Technically every dining hall features this soup at the same time, but it’s worth it to head to Stern for the burrito bowl-sized bowls that facilitate the perfect half-rice, half-soup portion for this dish. I eat this soup every time I find it in the dining hall (which often happens twice in one day) — it’s that good. As an added bonus, the green lentil soup is also amazing, and you’re likely to find some type of lentil soup in campus dining halls at least once every week.
  4. Cal Ave Farmer’s Market Samosa Slider: This Samosa/Chana Masala/Chutney combination is my favorite off-campus vegan discovery. It’s $3 and will keep you full for a solid part of the day. I recommend walking the mile or so to and from the farmer’s market because 1) the walk is beautiful, and 2) you’re going to need time to digest.
  5. Rebecca’s Mighty Muffins Dream Bar: But wait! Before you start the trek back to campus, swing by the Mighty Muffins tent at the farmer’s market and pick up an assortment of vegan baked goods. I can personally vouch for the Seven Layer Dream Bar, and if it’s any indication of the quality of the rest of the line, you’re in for a huge treat.
  6. ZombieRunner Mocha: California Avenue gets one last shoutout for ZombieRunner’s mocha. Though you can veganize beverages pretty much anywhere around here, ZombieRunner’s stands out for its use of Oatly, an oat milk specially made for hot drinks. The mocha is ridiculously smooth and rich, and there are several indoor tables perfect for popping in to take a break from the sun.
  7. Gloria’s Spring Rolls: You can find a good selection of Gloria’s products at Munger, Tresidder and TAP, but I consistently go back to the tofu spring rolls. They’re a little pricey, but the rolls and accompanying peanut sauce are well worth it, especially since you can buy them with Meal Plan Dollars.
  8. Treehouse Shiitake and Tofu Teriyaki Bowl: The style of tofu has differed every time I’ve ordered this dish, but it’s consistently delicious. Teriyaki sauce is the perfect final touch over carrots, broccoli, mushrooms and tofu piled high on a mountain of white rice. Given Treehouse’s long hours, it’s a super convenient spot to satisfy your vegan cravings.

Contact Jackie O’Neil at jroneil ‘at’ stanford.edu.

Jackie O'Neil '21 is The Daily's Vol. 259 staff development director and the former executive editor for Vol. 258 and managing editor of The Grind for Vols. 255 and 256. She's a Richmond, Virginia native studying political science, psychology and ethics. Contact her at joneil 'at' stanforddaily.com.