Women’s tennis sweeps Cal for Pac-12 crown

Freshman Michaela Gordon (above) is currently ranked No. 22 in the nation, and won her singles match against Cal to clinch the Cardinal victory. She will have the chance to prove herself on a larger stage at the Pac-12 championships this weekend. (LYNDSAY RADNEDGE/isiphotos.com)

No. 20 Stanford women’s tennis (15-3, 9-0 Pac-12) closed out their regular season with a 4-0 home sweep against No. 42 rival California (11-8, 6-4) on Friday, earning them the Pac-12 conference regular season title and positioning the Cardinal as the No. 1 seed for next week’s Pac-12 championships.

After securing their ninth home win, ninth intraconference win and 11th consecutive victory, the Cardinal is well-poised to take home both the regular and championship Pac-12 titles for the first time in the program’s history, although they claimed the post-season title last year.

Claiming two of the three doubles pairings, the Cardinal took the first point of the day. Although the nationally ranked No. 3 team of sophomore Emily Arbuthnott and freshman Michaela Gordon’s unleashed a powerful 6-0 win in the first position, it was junior Melissa Lord and freshman Janice Shin’s third position 7-5 victory that clinched the category win.

Gordon, the No. 22 ranked singles player in the country, continued to anchor her team in singles, seizing a 6-2, 6-4 triumph in the first position and her 20th match decision of the season.

Although Lord, Shin, and sophomore Caroline Lampl each had one game win, their matches were abandoned; it was Arbuthnott’s 22nd season win, along with increasingly consistent sophomore Emma Higuchi’s 6-2, 6-1 victory – and 21st season win – that earned Stanford the sweep.

Holding the top spot in the conference, the Cardinal will skip to the quarterfinals to compete in the Pac-12 championships on Thursday and Friday in Ojai, California. The match details are set for release Monday, while the competition will be streamed on Pac-12 networks.

Contact Sylvie Ashford at sylviash ‘at’ stanford.edu.