Responding to an inaccuracy in Stanford Politics members’ editorial

On Thursday, three members of Stanford Politics – Lucas Rodriguez, Daniela Gonzalez and editor-in-chief Ruairí Arrieta-Kenna – submitted an op-ed responding to The Daily’s Editorial Board piece on a Stanford Politics article, “Should The Daily print daily?” As a member of the Editorial Board, I appreciated the response. I disagree with the op-ed authors on several points, but I would like to respond briefly to one point in particular that distorts the facts: the authors’ assertion that I agree with them that there is not “enough news at Stanford and in Palo Alto to fill six to eight pages of newsprint” per day.

To support this, the op-ed’s authors quote me acknowledging that, sometimes, we have to “fill a hole” in our paper. In my interview with Stanford Politics, I was never asked if I think there are enough article-worthy issues and events in our coverage area to merit a daily paper. If I had been, my answer would have been simply: yes. Instead, I was asked about the difficulties of being a daily publication and whether the paper’s staff ever has to “scramble” for stories.

There are several reasons why, every once in a while, we find ourselves in need of extra content in the course of our evening production – for example, we may decide to delay an article to accommodate a writer’s schedule or to allow for more sources to get back to us. I did not tell Stanford Politics that we struggle to find enough to write about, and I feel confident saying that we never have a lack of stories to cover. The Daily works hard each day to report as many of these stories as possible.

Hannah Knowles ’19

Editor-in-chief, The Stanford Daily