Men’s volleyball goes on the road against the Bruins

Stanford, CA - March 31, 2018: Stanford defeats Concordia 3-1 at Maples Pavilion.

Stanford men’s volleyball is gearing up to take on No. 5 UCLA on Thursday in Los Angeles. UCLA has had a very productive season and will prove a tough foe as Stanford looks to close out its season (this being the team’s second-to-last game) on a high note.

UCLA (20-6, 7-3 MPSF), also set to host the NCAA Championships in May, is having their senior night on Thursday, honoring seniors Oliver Martin, Eric Matheis, JT Hatch, Jake Arnitz and Christian Hessenauer.

The Bruins come to the match in an advantageous position. Not only are they tied for second in the MPSF, but they currently rank third nationally in kills (13.22), third in hitting percentage (.352) and fourth in aces (1.81).

The Cardinal will feature some strong players, despite having a below average season. Junior setter Russell Dervay ranks 22nd in assists per game (9.16). Freshman Jaylen Jasper comes in ninth nationally in attacks per set (8.39), 13th in points per set and sixth in kills per set. Senior Evan Enriques is 25th in digs per set.

The Cardinal will have to show the depth of their team in the hopes of beating top-ranked UCLA. The game will be at 7 p.m. on Thursday and will be streamed on Pac-12 Networks.

Contact Laura Sussman at laura111 ‘at’ stanford.edu