On this day in Stanford history: April 5

The feature “On this day in Stanford history” details events that occurred on the same date in past years at Stanford.

According to The Stanford Daily’s archives, on April 5 in….

1904: The Daily reported that rents on both student dormitories — Encina and Roble Hall — would be raised next quarter. The most expensive rate was for a men’s single, which went from $7 to $8 per month.

1918: Dr. Ray Lyman Wilbur spoke to students about the Great War during an ROTC rally in Encina Hall. “We must look this war square in the face,” he urged.

1923: “ORDER FORBIDS DOGS TO ATTEND CLASSES,” an all-caps Daily headline announces.

1939: The Daily reported that Spanish general and military dictator Francisco Franco had ordered the demobilization of civil war forces within 90 days.

1956: As representatives from 60 colleges and universities descended on the Oregon State campus for a Model United Nations conference, a 15-person delegation of Stanford students prepared to represent Israel in mock negotiations on topics like Cyprus and tensions in the Middle East.

1957: After the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP) requested that Stanford include a non-discrimination clause in its property contracts, University administrators stated that they did not condone discrimination but felt the specific inclusion of such clauses unnecessary.

1968: The front page of The Daily announced the assassination of Martin Luther King Jr., “father of nonviolence in the American Civil Rights movement.” King was 39.

1979: The Daily reported that Tresidder Union would begin selling beer and wine to students, including at Coffeehouse (CoHo).

1989: The University published a report examining “underlying, subtle racial tensions [that had been] plaguing Stanford for decades.” Recommended solutions included doubling the number of minority Ph.D. graduates, hiring 30 new minority faculty members and funding more scholarships and grants for minority students.

2005: After Stanford discovered that 41 Graduate School of Business applicants hacked into the admissions results ahead of the decision release to see whether they’d been admitted, the GSB dean announced that none of them had been.

Contact Brian Contreras at brianc42 ‘at’ stanford.edu.

Brian Contreras was the Daily's Investigations Editor during the '19-'20 school year. Before that, he was a Managing Editor of the news section. A graduate of Stanford's class of 2020, he studied Science, Technology, and Society with a minor in Anthropology. Brian hails from Washington, DC and is pursuing a career in tech journalism. Contact him at briancontreras42 'at' gmail.com.