Price finishes at Maples with a perfect 10

The crowd roared as the scoreboard lit up with the name Elizabeth Price followed by the score that every gymnast strives for throughout their whole career: a perfect 10.00.

Price and the rest of the No. 27 Stanford women’s gymnastics squad wrapped up their home season against No. 3 UCLA on Sunday afternoon. The competition was senior Price’s last in Maples Pavilion, a conclusion to a impressive career that included – with today – three perfect 10s. The other two 10s came on the uneven bar and floor, and today’s too was on the floor event.

Price has had an extensive career during her time with the Cardinal. She was an NCAA champion on vault in 2015, the Pac-12 Gymnast of the Year in 2015 and 2016, a two-time Pac-12 title-winner on bars in 2015 and 2016 and an essential part of the Stanford team all four years.

“So I was definitely nervous coming in [today] because it was my final meet and I wanted to make a big statement,” Price said. “But also I wanted to soak in every moment because it was my last competition, so I was trying to go in regardless of whether I hit my routine.”

The meet ended in a loss for Stanford (197.800-196.650) but the team was so hyped up on their performance and Price’s conclusion to the home season that it didn’t seem to matter. Even the UCLA team was chanting “10! 10! 10!” as Price finished her routine. Not surprisingly, just about everyone went wild when the score came up.

“It was really awesome,” Price said, smiling. “I was really hoping I got a 10! Warm-ups, my landings weren’t super good as I’d like them to be in warm-ups so I was a little nervous. But my routine went really well. Finishing with a perfect 10, I mean, it’s my last routine I’ll ever compete in Maples, so it’s literally as good as it gets.”

The home team managed to keep up with one of the top programs in the nation, and the Bruins barely bested the Cardinal in every event.

The vault event finished with team scores of 49.375 for the Bruins to the Cardinal’s 49.150. Price took the title in the event with an almost-perfect 9.975, followed by UCLA’s sophomore Kyla Ross with a 9.900. Stanford freshman all-around Lauren Navarro came in fifth, boasting a 9.825.

The uneven bars event was also a close matchup, ending in UCLA’s favor (49.250-48.675). Two UCLA gymnasts – Ross and fifth-year senior Christine “Peng-Peng” Lee – notched perfect 10s, leaving Price in second with a 9.950 and Stanford freshman Kyla Bryant in fourth with 9.875.

Lee managed another perfect 10 on the beam event, and two teammates — junior Katelyn Ohashi (9.975) and sophomore Grace Glenn (9.925) — joined her in second and third, respectively. These performances helped boost an overall score of 49.575 for the Bruins in the event, allowing them to barely pass by the Cardinal’s 49.375. Price once again gave a brilliant performance, ending up tied for fourth with Bryant with a 9.900. Sophomore all-around Kaylee Cole finished in fifth (9.875).

Last, but certainly not least, came the floor event, starting with Cole and ending with Price’s last ever performance in Maples Pavilion. Both teams executed well in the event: Bryant got a 9.900, Ohashi earned a 9.950 and Stanford freshman Rachael Flam earned a 9.850.

At the end of the afternoon, seniors from both teams were given flowers, but special attention was paid to Price, as Stanford’s only senior and one of the best gymnasts to ever compete at home in Maples. The team, along with Price’s family, wore matching white shirts that featured a picture of Price on the front. They all stormed the floor as Price was awarded her bouquet, and tears flowed as they accompanied Price in saying goodbye to Maples.

“I don’t think I could be more proud of how I did today, and looking back on my gymnastics career especially because I had my career high in all-around in this meet,” Price said.

Contact Laura Sussman at laura111 ‘at’ stanford.edu