Mar. 8: On this day in Stanford history…

The feature “On this day in Stanford history” details events that occurred on the same date in past years at Stanford.

According to The Stanford Daily’s archives, on March 8 in….

1905: Junior Prom was called off in response to the death of Jane Stanford, one of the founders of the University, a week earlier. The motion to do so was passed unanimously by the junior class’ Prom committee.

1920: The Daily reported that Herbert Hoover, class of 1895, refused to allow his name to be entered in the Democratic presidential primaries.

1939: A series of stolen cars found hidden in bushes behind the bandhouse discredited the theory that a crime wave was taking place on campus. Instead, it was “nothing more serious than a gag,” campus police reported.

1950: In a vote of 261 to 110, the U.S. House of Representatives voted to make Hawaii part of the Union, The Daily reported. This came less than a week after Alaska’s admission to the U.S. passed in a vote of 186 to 146.

1967: The Winds of Freedom Foundation, a collective of conservative alumni, issued a bulletin calling for less left-wing influence on the University. The foundation wrote, “Stanford undergraduates are being given a heavily overbalanced presentation of philosophies leaning toward collectivism, the welfare state, and other socialist concepts.”

1978: The bronze statue of the Stanford family in the Art Gallery was vandalized over the weekend, the Daily reported, when someone cut off the thumb of Leland Jr. with a hacksaw. The perpetrator was unknown and the thumb had not yet been found.

1979: About 70 women and men marched through campus in a “Take Back the Night” protest to raise awareness of rape.

1991: The Daily reported on the government’s  plans to release 60,000 Iraqi prisoners of war as U.S. troops continued to return home from the Gulf War.

2000: The Daily announced that — for the first time ever — its profiles of ASSU candidates would be available online rather than in print.

Contact Brian Contreras at brianc42 ‘at’ stanford.edu.

Brian Contreras was the Daily's Investigations Editor during the '19-'20 school year. Before that, he was a Managing Editor of the news section. A graduate of Stanford's class of 2020, he studied Science, Technology, and Society with a minor in Anthropology. Brian hails from Washington, DC and is pursuing a career in tech journalism. Contact him at briancontreras42 'at' gmail.com.