Costello’s hip injury to force him out of spring football

Sophomore quarterback KJ Costello will be held out of spring practice, which includes the Cardinal White Spring Game, according to a report by Bruce Feldman of Sports Illustrated.

Costello played in 11 games and passed for 1,573 yards on 58.8 completion percentage. He made his first start against Arizona State after coming in for an injured Keller Chryst in the UCLA game the week prior. Costello would not start again until the Cardinal played Washington State in Pullman, but he would start in every game thereafter.

Costello’s best performance came against Notre Dame, where he completed 14-22 passes for 176 passing yards and four touchdowns in the 38-20 victory.

The news means the Cardinal will be extremely thin at the quarterback position for spring practice. Chryst, who was the starter coming into the past season, announced he was transferring for his final year of eligibility. Ryan Burns will also be graduating and head coach David Shaw mentioned in his press conference that Davis Mills won’t participate in the spring.

This means that Jack Richardson will be the only available quarterback on the roster for the Spring Game.

The Cardinal White Spring Game will kick off on April 14 at 1 p.m. in Cagan Stadium. The game will be broadcast by the Pac-12 Networks.

Contact Jose Saldana at jsaldana ‘at’ stanford.edu.