Women’s tennis to host Vanderbilt, men’s on road against Illinois

Both women’s and men’s tennis teams are in action this weekend. No. 1 women’s tennis (1-1) has its home opener on Friday at 1:30 p.m. against St. Mary’s (1-3) at Taube Tennis Center.

The Cardinal are coming off a 7-0 defeat at the hands of No. 2 Vanderbilt in Nashville. The talented duo of sophomore Emily Arbuthnott and freshman Michael Gordon, who were the No. 3 doubles team in the nation, were defeated 6-3 by Commodores Fernanda Contreras and Astra Sharma. The rest of the Stanford doubles teams didn’t fare better as the Cardinal failed to get a single win in the three matches.

The singles matches had similar results as Stanford was unable to avoid being swept by Vanderbilt.

Although it was a tough loss for the Cardinal, they are still ranked No. 1.

No. 5 men’s tennis (5-0) are on the road again to play No. 12 Illinois (3-1) on Saturday at 4 p.m. The Cardinal have been impressive to start the season. They have defeated three-straight ranked opponents (No. 22 Tulane, No. 5 USC and No. 6 UCLA).

Stanford’s previous game against the Bruins was its most exciting yet as it came down to the final game. Junior Sameer Kumar clinched Stanford’s victory after winning the second set 6-4.

The sweep of the Los Angeles school, only the second time in the last nine seasons, moved the Cardinal from No. 10 to No. 5 in the ITA rankings.

Senior Tom Fawcett earned his first Pac-12 Men’s Tennis Player of the Week after his performances against ranked Tulane, USC and UCLA.

The women’s tennis match against St. Mary’s will be broadcasted by streamingtennis.com. The men’s tennis match vs. Illinois will not be broadcasted but you could follow the action on the @StanfordTennis and @IlliniMTennis twitter accounts.

Contact Jose Saldana at jsaldana ‘at’ stanford.edu.