Living with a roommate as told by ‘Grace and Frankie screencaps

Whether you’re accustomed to the luxury of your own room or you’ve been boarding with siblings or peers all your life, sharing a cramped living space in college is sure to throw you some curveballs. Though there’s no lack of literature on the ups and downs of roommate life, it’s possible that Netflix’s (absolutely stellar) series “Grace and Frankie” tells it best. Here are 11 times that the show got it right when it comes to the struggles and blessings of having an in-house best friend.

When your roommate hints at even the slightest emotional problem and you jump on the case:

Courtesy of Netflix.

When you auto-pilot into your room with complete disregard for the sock on your door handle:

Courtesy of Netflix.

When your roommate is your most effective method of quality control before a night out:

Courtesy of Netflix.

When you take it upon yourself to make sure that all of your roommate’s potential flings are worthy:

Courtesy of Netflix.

And after you approve, you’ll never let your roommate get away without knowing exactly how everything went down:

Courtesy of Netflix.

When you get to know all of each other’s weird quirks and preferences:

Courtesy of Netflix.

When your roommate attempts to hide emotional problems from you because they know you’ll react like this whether they like it or not:

Courtesy of Netflix.

Once you get comfortable around each other, your roommate really never knows what they’re going to witness upon opening your door:

Courtesy of Netflix.

When your roommate is one of the only people you can trust to tell it like it is:

Courtesy of Netflix.

When your roommate steps out while their friend is hanging in your room:

Courtesy of Netflix.

When you and your roommate experience all the highs and lows of college life together, one thing’s for sure:

Courtesy of Netflix.

Contact Jackie O’Neil at 

Jackie O'Neil '21 is the Managing Editor of the Grind. She's a Richmond, Virginia native who loves constitutional history, pretending to be a serious triathlete, waking up at the crack of dawn and Gilmore Girls – in no particular order. Contact her at jroneil 'at' stanford.edu.