Women’s basketball to host Washington schools this weekend

Stanford’s Kiana Williams was named Pac-12 Freshman of the Week after averaging 13 points per game over the last three games. The Cardinal will look to Williams, as well as Senior standout Brittany McPhee, to defeat both Washington teams this weekend at Maples. (Isiphotos.com)

Stanford women’s basketball (9-7, 3-1 Pac-12) will play Washington State (8-8, 1-3) and Washington (6-9, 0-4) in Maples Pavilion this weekend.

The Cardinal is coming off a close 73-66 loss to Arizona State.  Washington and Washington State can expect senior Brittany McPhee and freshman Kiana Williams to be impact players in this weekend’s games. McPhee has been averaging 18.8 points per game in the last five games since returning from injury, while Williams was just named Pac-12 Freshman of the Week after averaging 13 points per game over the last three games.

Sophomore Dijonai Carrington, currently averaging nearly six rebounds and 11 points a game, is also quickly becoming a major threat on the both ends of the court.

Washington State is coming off an even tighter 81-79 loss against Utah. The Cardinal will have to look out for the Cougar’s star forward Borislava Hristova, who has been consistently been averaging double digits, scoring at least 19.1 points a contest.

Washington is also coming off a tight 66-61 loss versus Colorado. The team’s leading scorers are sophomore guard Amber Melgoza and sophomore forward Mai-Loni Henson.

Although both of the Washington teams will be hungry for victory, good rebounding and team cohesion will be key for the Cardinal to remain undefeated in their home conference play.

The Cardinal will tip off against the Cougars Friday Jan. 12 at 6 pm and again verse the Huskies on Sunday Jan. 14 at 3 pm.

Contact Ellie Chen at ellie170 ‘at’ stanford.edu.