An ode to soft-serve ice cream

Courtesy of Pixabay.

Earlier this week, I went into Lakeside Dining at my usual dinner time, around 5:30 pm. A smile began to form at the corners of my lips as I thought in advance about what I was going to have for dessert: vanilla-flavored soft-serve ice cream with a topping of chocolate chips. It was the same thing I had at every dinner, except for the nights they were out of vanilla and I was forced to settle for chocolate ice cream with chocolate chips.

To my dismay, I found the following sign plastered onto the machine: Soft serve machine is out of order. Sorry for the inconvenience. Lakeside Dining Team.

It’s not a big deal, I told myself, trying to shake it off. I know it’s trivial, but I swear I felt my stomach drop a little bit. Okay, a lot.

Ever since NSO when I saw someone with a soft-serve ice cream cone in my dining hall, I’ve had it almost every day. Until the machine broke this week, I didn’t know how big of a role something as trifling as ice cream could play in my day-to-day life.

At first, having ice cream was strictly for gustatory pleasure. They say to take advantage of all of the opportunities on campus while you can. I say that includes getting soft-serve ice cream. Then, it became more a habit – a daily tradition, even – to get ice cream after dinner.

I’ve always thought it was beneficial to have something to look forward to – not something far-fetched or a long ways away, like Christmas or getting to go home to see your dog. Instead, something small, tangible and easily accessible, like getting into bed after a busy day of writing papers or taking a hot shower after being outside in the cold.

For me, that small thing to look forward to every day is the soft-serve ice cream at Lakeside — with chocolate chips, of course. For some friends in my dorm, it’s having Lucky Charms cereal for dessert, or taking a refreshing walk around Lake Lag, or listening to their favorite song from Mulan once a day. We all need our “thing” that gets us through this crazy world, one day at a time.

I have soft-serve ice cream to thank for being my thing. And as the saying goes, it really is the little things that count.

Contact Angie Lee at angielee ‘at’ stanford.edu. 

Angie Lee

Angie Lee

Thanks for reading The Daily! I think it's important for our voices to be heard, and the Daily makes sure our voices are heard. I love writing, singing (badly), and eating spicy tuna rolls, so talk to me about any of those things!