By the numbers: Stanford vs. Oregon State

Junior wide receiver J.J. Arcega-Whiteside caught the game-winning touchdown against Oregon State last week.(SYLER PERALTA-RAMOS/The Stanford Daily)

The Stanford Cardinal made an improbable comeback in the closing minutes of their game Thursday to defeat the Oregon State Beavers 15-14 in Corvallis. Here are some notable statistics from that game and the season thus far:

81: Rushing yards for the Cardinal on Thursday in the absence of star junior running back Bryce Love. This was their lowest rushing total since being drubbed 42-16 by the Washington State Cougars last season. Love alone has averaged over 198 rushing yards per game this season.

222: Total yards from the Stanford offense Thursday, its lowest total since a 44-6 loss to Washington last season. Oregon State’s defense ranks 106th in the nation in yards allowed per game.

+2: Turnover margin for the Cardinal, as they forced the Beavers to one interception and two fumbles and committed just one turnover, an interception thrown by senior quarterback Keller Chryst. The Cardinal rank seventh nationally in turnover margin, with a +10 mark for the season.

9: Total tackles for senior defensive tackle Harrison Phillips Thursday, including two tackles for loss. Phillips leads the team in total tackles with 59, which ranks 10th in the Pac-12. Phillips also recovered two fumbles and was partially responsible for the Ryan Nall fumble that gave Stanford the ball for its game-winning drive.

8: Penalties for the Cardinal on Thursday, amounting to 81 penalty yards. Penalties have plagued Stanford at times this season, as it ranks 84th in the nation in penalties per game, averaging 6.8 penalties and 54.3 penalty yards per game this season.

20: First downs for Oregon State Thursday, compared to just 12 for Stanford. The Cardinal had trouble moving the chains in Corvallis, going 5-16 on third downs with four three-and-outs.

33: Pass attempts from Keller Chryst, a new career-high for him. Chryst was given a bigger role with Love’s absence Thursday, along with the fact that sophomore K.J. Costello did not get any snaps, but could not take advantage of the higher workload. Chryst only completed 48.5 percent of his throws for 4.3 yards per attempt.

1: Game-sealing interception by senior free safety Brandon Simmons. It was the first interception of his career.

Contact Sam Curry at currys ‘at’ stanford.edu

Sam Curry '20 is a sophomore desk editor for The Daily. Most of the time, people can find him cheering for all of the teams they probably hate, like the New England Patriots and the New York Yankees. Sam is a proud native of Big Timber, Montana, where he enjoys the great outdoors with his family and friends.