Katie Ledecky named Sportswoman of the Year

The Women’s Sports Foundation named Stanford sophomore Katie Ledecky their Sportswoman of the year on Wednesday night. The Sportswoman of the year is an individual or team sport athlete whose performances over a 12 month span have been exceptional, including such past winners as Simone Biles, Venus and Serena Williams, Abby Wambach, and Candace Parker.

In the past year, Ledecky has made a tremendous splash in both NCAA as well as international competition. Last season she led the Cardinal to the NCAA title for swimming and diving by winning the 200, 500 and 1650 yard freestyle and participating in Stanford’s title winning 400 and 800 yard freestyle relays. While just a freshman, she set seven Stanford school records, posted nine American-record performances and received five all-american honors.

All of those accolades were just during the school year. Over the summer, Ledecky won six medals, including five golds at the 2017 FINA world championships, and is currently ranked number one in the world in the 200, 400, 800 and 1500 meter freestyle. In September, Ledecky was named the USA swimming athlete of the year and was inducted into the Washington D.C. sports hall of fame.

Ledecky will begin her sophomore year this weekend at the Pac-12 vs. USA swimming challenge in Los Angeles.

Contact Bobby Pragada at bpragada “at” stanford.edu