Cal denies baseball road sweep

After taking the first two games in Berkeley, No. 10 Stanford baseball (33-14, 15-9 Pac-12) fell short of a series sweep as the Cardinal dropped the final contest of the three-game series against Cal (22-26, 13-14). Unable to climb back from a 3-0 deficit, Stanford ultimately fell 5-3.

Held scoreless in the opening three innings of the game, the Cardinal got on the board in the fourth inning with a double by Maverick Handley followed by a double by junior Matt Winaker that got the two players to switch places while scoring the freshman.

In the sixth inning, sophomore Brandon Wulff hit his fifth home run of the year, bringing the score to 3-2, and Winaker hit an RBI single to bring Handley home again, tying the game at 3-3. However, the Bears took the lead again in the bottom of the inning with a triple and an RBI groundout, and scored again in the seventh to bring the game to its final tally.

This game brings Stanford to 4-1 for the season against their rival. It also marks the 18th consecutive game in which Winaker has reached base, a career-best and the longest streak of the season for Stanford.

The Cardinal will play at Santa Clara this Wednesday at 6 p.m. They will then return for the last home series of the season this weekend against Washington, which will begin on Friday, May 19 at 6 p.m.

Contact Ariana Rollins at arianar ‘at’ stanford.edu.