Softball swept in first home conference series

Despite strong performances in a few big innings, Stanford softball (16-16, 0-6 Pac-12) was unable to best No. 15 Utah (24-7, 6-2) in a three-game series at home this weekend. In two of the three games, the Cardinal had a late chance to claim a win, but their efforts were unsuccessful.

On Friday night, the game was in reach for Stanford until the final out, but the quest for a come-from-behind win fell just short, and the Utes took the series opener 8-6. The Cardinal put together a big third inning, seizing an early 3-1 lead, but Utah answered in the top of the fourth, tacking on four runs and establishing the two-run lead it would maintain until the end.

In the top of the seventh inning, the Utes loaded the bases on a single and two walks. Freshman Kiana Pancino came on in relief for Stanford and gave up a double to right center that allowed three baserunners to score. She quickly settled, however, retiring the remaining two batters to limit the damage.

In the bottom of the seventh, the Cardinal mounted an improbable comeback. After Kylie Sorenson led off with a hit-by-pitch and Teaghan Cowles walked, Lauren Bertoy and Bessie Noll combined for back-to-back doubles to score the runners. A single from freshman Montana Dixon plated a third runner, cutting Stanford’s deficit to two. Another hit batsman gave the Cardinal runners on first and second, but Utah was able to strike out the final batter to end the comeback bid and the game.

Sophomore Carolyn Lee came two outs shy of a complete game in the circle, while Katie Donovan went the distance for Utah, holding the Cardinal to just three earned runs (six unearned).

On Saturday, the Utes were able to put the game out of reach early, hitting a grand slam in the first inning and taking a commanding 8-0 lead by the third. Stanford was unable to get on base until the bottom of the third, but the offense warmed up in the fourth and put together a four-run inning. Four consecutive singles from Noll, Bertroy, Arden Pettit and Victoria Molina put the Cardinal on the board, and an error, fielder’s choice and two more singles cut Utah’s lead in half.

Although Stanford got two on with one out in the sixth inning, the team failed to score for the remainder of the contest, while Utah added another three runs in the top of the seventh to complete the 11-4 rout.

Sunday’s matchup was close early on, with the Cardinal taking a 2-1 lead, but the Utes pulled together a five-run third inning that Stanford could not overcome. Lee tossed her ninth complete game of the year and was locked in after Utah’s big inning, preventing the Utes from scoring for the remaining four innings. The Cardinal offense was stifled throughout the game, tallying just three hits — all in the second inning — and getting just eight runners on base in seven innings. Utah took the series finale with a final score of 6-2.

Up next, Stanford will travel to Arizona to take on the Wildcats for a three-game series. First pitch will be at 6 p.m. on Friday, with Saturday and Sunday’s games starting at 3 p.m. and noon, respectively.

Contact Olivia Hummer at ohummer ‘at’ stanford.edu.

Olivia Hummer '17 is a managing editor of The Daily's sports section and writes about volleyball, football and baseball. When she's not filling in as an emergency copy editor, she can be found curled up in a ball bemoaning the misfortunes of her beloved Seattle Mariners or cursing the misuse of the Stanford Athletics logo. Olivia is a senior majoring in history from Covina, California, and can be reached at ohummer 'at' stanford.edu.