Women’s tennis travels south for Pac-12 showdowns

No. 14 Stanford women’s tennis (7-1) will travel to Southern California this weekend to face No. 28 UCLA (6-4) and No. 21 USC (4-3) in their opening Pac-12 weekend.

This trip marks the third and fourth away games for the Cardinal as the team prepares for a stretch of six games far from the Farm in its next nine duals.
Stanford is looking to maintain the momentum it has gained after beating No. 5 Vanderbilt at home and slipping by Texas last week. The Cardinal, returning NCAA champions, are looking to raise their ranking with more victories against top NCAA opponents.
Stanford will first face the Bruins on Friday. Unlike the Cardinal, UCLA is riding a three-game losing streak. Last time the team faced off, the Stanford came away with a 5-1 victory.

While Stanford’s scheduled home dual against USC was rained out last year, the Cardinal did manage to earn a 4-2 decision against the Trojans in Southern California last season.

All Stanford’s starters are currently ranked, led by No. 13 sophomore Melissa Lord. Although Lord suffered her first loss in 11 games last week against Fresno State, she remains one of the hottest Cardinal players, along with No. 46 Emma Higuchi, who has won a team-high 17 matches this season.

Contact Alex Bucquet at bucqueta ‘at’ stanford.edu.