On freedom of the press

Opinion by Alizeh Ahmad

This past weekend saw what can be described as an attempted coup de grâce against the free press. Saturday began with the announcement that the president would not be attending the White House Correspondent’s Dinner, a move underscoring his displeasure with many of the associated news organizations. While such a choice is, at best, unhealthy for the respectful relationship typically cultivated between each president and the press, it was not the story that stole headlines. The bizarre announcement was promptly overshadowed by the revelation that news sources such as The New York Times, the Los Angeles Times, CNN and Politico had been banned from attending a White House news briefing.

We need not remind ourselves of the importance of a free press, a dynamic staple of American history and the most fervent defender of democracy and truth. At the risk of redundancy, I insist that the independence of the press is the bedrock upon which freedom of thought, decision and expression exists for American citizens. As the authority of those in power stems from the American people, it is pointedly counterintuitive to limit the freedoms of the people one has vowed to protect and serve.

For the sake of optimism and out of respect for American democracy, I am wont to believe that this severe misstep by the White House stemmed not from malintent, but from frustration over a sour relationship with the media. Regardless of its motivation, such an open disregard of First Amendment rights should raise a red flag for civil rights advocates notwithstanding political affiliation.

Just as the right to a free press is derived from the American citizenry, so is its legitimacy. It is our responsibility to consume information from sources that boast evidence of time-tested integrity, not unlike The New York Times. Either individually or in combination, our sources of information must present a comprehensive and balanced worldview. This is the least that is expected of us as citizens. And in this way, no one can cripple the flow of information that keeps us free.

As for the future of journalism, I am confident that few things are more resilient or resourceful. As long as there is truth, somewhere there will be fair press. We would be wise to take a cue from Senator Elizabeth Warren and, out of love for our American ideals, persist.

Contact Alizeh Ahmad at alizeha ‘at’ stanford.edu