Men’s volleyball to face top-ranked Lancers

Sophomore outside hitter Jordan Ewert and freshman middle blocker Stephen Moye make a roof to block an incoming ball over the net. Moye has been a new and fruitful addition to the Cardinal lineup. (HECTOR GARCIA-MOLINA/Stanford Athletics)

No. 8 Stanford men’s volleyball (9-5, 6-3 MPSF) return home to face No. 3 BYU (12-2, 6-1) in a pair of matches on Thursday and Friday nights.

The Cardinal split their matches last week, losing at USC before staging a dramatic comeback win at Cal Baptist. Against USC, Stanford struggled offensively, hitting only .089 for the game — a season-low. On Saturday against Cal Baptist, the Stanford team earned its third five-set comeback win of the season, bouncing back in the fourth and fifth while holding the Lancers to a combined .047 hitting percentage in the two sets.

Stanford will face a tough opponent in BYU. The Cougars lead the MPSF with 1.55 aces per set and are ranked No. 2 in kills (13.43) and assists (12.53). Still, the Cardinal offense has also greatly advanced lately, with new faces like freshmen Mason Tufuga and Stephen Moye contributing greatly. The matches are sure to be high scoring affairs, with two ranked teams competing on back-to-back nights.

Both matches will begin at 7 p.m. Thursday’s game will be played in Maples Pavilion and will be televised live on Pac-12 Networks. Friday’s game will take place in Burnham Pavilion.

Contact Laura Anderson at lauraand ‘at’ stanford.edu.