Men’s basketball looks for rivalry win in Berkeley

Stanford men’s basketball (11-9, 3-5 Pac-12) will look to capture an important conference win as it travels across the Bay for a contest against their rivals, the California Golden Bears (14-6, 5-3 Pac-12) at Haas Pavilion in Berkeley this Sunday.

The Bears are fifth in the Pac-12 standings and are fresh off a 69-58 win over Oregon State in Corvallis last Saturday. They are led by sophomore forward Ivan Rabb, who leads the team in scoring and rebounds, averaging a double-double with 15.1 points and 10.6 boards per contest.

The Cardinal, currently eighth in the conference, will look to get another winning streak started and to begin separating themselves from the bottom half of the Pac-12 after suffering a tough 69-52 loss to No. 11 Oregon last Saturday. Whether or not Stanford will have junior forward Reid Travis to help them accomplish these goals is still in question.

Even if their leading scorer may not be present, the Cardinal may be able to rely on increased production from senior guard Marcus Allen and junior forward Michael Humphrey, who seem to have compensated for Travis’s absence by averaging 13.3 and 13.6 points in the last three games, respectively – well above both of their season averages.

Tip-off will be at 5:30 p.m. at Haas Pavilion in Berkeley on Sunday. The game will be broadcast on ESPN.

Contact Sam Curry at currys’at’stanford.edu.

Sam Curry '20 is a sophomore desk editor for The Daily. Most of the time, people can find him cheering for all of the teams they probably hate, like the New England Patriots and the New York Yankees. Sam is a proud native of Big Timber, Montana, where he enjoys the great outdoors with his family and friends.