2018 Stanford Daily Summer Internship Program

Our 2018 application is now live. We will accept submissions until April 15, 2018 at 11:59 p.m.  

Thanks for your interest in a summer internship with The Stanford Daily! Here’s all the information you need about the program and how to apply

(SAM GIRVIN/The Stanford Daily)

WHO we are: The Daily has been Stanford’s only daily publication since 1892, as we print five days a week during the school year. Our website, stanforddaily.com, is also a hub for Stanford news for students, alumni and community members.

For the past many years, The Daily has been proud to help high school students grow and develop their skills in many aspects of journalism, and we’re excited to provide you with this opportunity again.

WHO we’re looking for: High school writers and photographers with some journalistic training. Most of our interns are a part of their high school’s paper, magazine, or other news outlet, but any relevant experience is great!

WHAT The Daily does in the summer: We don’t print during the summer, but we still publish online every day, and our site receives tens of thousands of hits each week. Over the summer, our main sections are News, Sports, Arts & Life and Multimedia.

WHAT you’ll participate in: A student-run, unpaid, part-time, eight-week summer internship program that will give you a taste of collegiate journalism. Each week, you’ll pitch story ideas, sign up for an article (or more) and then report on the story over the course of about a week. You’ll then have a chance to get hands-on feedback from your editor. We also have a weekly workshop that will help you continue to grow as a journalist. Students will publish work for the following sections of The Stanford Daily:

• News
  • Sports
  • Arts & Life
  • The Grind

In addition, there will be opportunity to explore multimedia, graphics and photography skills through hands-on workshops or editor-guided content production.

Through this program, The Daily gives interns the chance to develop a sense for what is newsworthy, to learn the form of a good news article and to understand ethical principles related to reporting. Our journalistic work will be complemented by social activities, as well: we want you to have the opportunity to connect with fellow interns and Daily staffers! Workshops will be taught by Daily staffers, but one session will also feature a Daily advisor with extensive professional journalism experience.

WHEN: This internship will run from Monday, June 18, 2018 to Monday, August 13, 2018. The program will host weekly workshops on Monday evenings, and we expect our participants to attend each of them!

WHERE: Our official address is 456 Panama Mall, Stanford, CA. However, note that our building is in the interior of campus, so unfortunately it’s not too easy to just drive up directly to our building. You’ll want to park in the Tresidder Union visitor lot – parking is free after 5 p.m. – and you can find our office using campus-map.stanford.edu (just search “Stanford Daily”).

Please visit our FAQ page for common questions about the program.

Contact Courtney Douglas at ccd4 ‘at’ stanford.edu or Hannah Knowles at hknowles ‘at’ stanford.edu if you have any further questions.

Discussion about this page