Support independent, student-run journalism.  Your support helps give staff members from all backgrounds the opportunity to conduct meaningful reporting on important issues at Stanford. All contributions are tax-deductible.

Veteran’s Day events slated for Stanford

Veterans, staff and community members will be gathering at Stanford today for a pair of Veteran’s Day events. The events will include a celebration of the Marine Corps’ 241st birthday and a Veteran’s Day reception.

A Marine Corps birthday cake-cutting ceremony is scheduled for 1:30 p.m. today at the sunken garden in the Hoover Institute. The Marines have their actual birthday on Nov. 10, but the ceremony at Stanford will be held today this year.

Additionally, a Veteran’s Day reception is scheduled for 5 p.m. in the Engineering Quad, with remarks between 6:15 and 7:15. Following a welcome from Dustin Noll, Kevin Mott ’17 will speak on the theme of continuing service, Professor Scott Sagan will talk about what makes a just warrior, and David Ahern ’17 will discuss the responsibility of veterans. The event will conclude with a reception.

Although Veteran’s Day is a federal holiday, Stanford does not recognize it as an academic holiday on the Stanford calendar. Classes and business will be conducted as usual.

Contact Caleb Smith at caleb17 ‘at’ stanford.edu.

Caleb Smith '17 is a Desk Editor from Oakland, California and is majoring in public policy. Outside the Daily, Caleb is Director of news at KZSU Stanford, the campus radio station. Have a tip or suggestion? Please contact him at caleb17 ‘at’ stanford.edu.