Stanford Bookstore holds midnight release party for Harry Potter and the Cursed Child

Aug. 5, 2016, 1:00 a.m.

Hundreds of students, staff and others from the Palo Alto community gathered at the Stanford Bookstore on July 30 to attend the midnight release party for “Harry Potter and the Cursed Child,” the highly anticipated new addition to the Harry Potter saga. From 11 pm to midnight, guests enjoyed themed activities, crafts and treats before purchasing book copies.

Written by author J.K. Rowling, playwright Jack Thorne and director John Tiffany, “Cursed Child” is a two-part play that takes place 19 years after the end of Rowling’s original seven-novel series. The play follows Harry Potter’s journey with his son Albus Severus, who first appeared in the epilogue of the seventh installment, “Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows.”

The Stanford Bookstore also held release parties for two previous Harry Potter novels, “Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince” and “Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows.” The bookstore staff started to organize the release party for “Cursed Child” in April, with assistance from other affiliated bookstores as well as the publisher of the script.

“We all love the series so we wanted to spread our love for Harry Potter and continue the tradition,” said Stanford Bookstore marketing specialist Alishia Natiello.

Although the party was a homage to the Harry Potter tradition, it also set a new precedent as the first midnight party held at the bookstore. Prior release parties held at the bookstore always took place when the bookstore opened at 8 a.m. Natiello, a primary organizer of the release party, said the first-time event was a fitting celebration for a turning point in the beloved series.

For many attendees, the release party was a way to relive childhood fantasies from the previous Harry Potter books. Stanford summer camp student Joy Feng saw the release as a chance to make a new Harry Potter memory.

“I’ve always loved Harry Potter novels because they’re all very well written,” Feng said. “There’s always so much more to be discovered in the Harry Potter world. I’m excited to get the book and look forward to taking lots of pictures that will remind me of this event.”

Students were not the only ones swept up by Pottermania. Engineering Library librarian Kathleen Gust and her husband, Philip Gust, also attended the party — in full wizarding garb. Kathleen dressed as astronomy professor Aurora Sinistra, while her husband dressed as a muggle studies professor.

“I like the diversity,” Kathleen Gust, explaining why she likes J.K. Rowling’s series. “The Harry Potter novels are very inclusive and it’s such a complete world.”

Her husband relished the opportunity to dress up and meet other fans.

“We came to this event because it’s fun and a chance to get the Harry Potter costumes out,” said Philip, a frequent release party attendee. “I love the little kids coming up to ask if they can take a picture with us. We have a lot of fun, and the kids like the costumes as well.”

The Stanford Bookstore organized crafts, sold merchandise and handed out small collectibles at the event. Partygoers got the chance to make their own wands and snitches, receive free Harry Potter-themed coloring books, stickers and tattoos and capture their memories at a photobooth.

The event likely marked the last of the Harry Potter release parties, since Rowling announced that Harry Potter’s journey will come to an end with “Cursed Child.” Kathleen Gust was “a bit disappointed” that Rowling’s last installment was not a novel. Still, she said she’s keeping an open mind.

“I didn’t know what the author was going to do with [the play],” she said. “But we’ll give Rowling a chance.”

Contact Catherine Huang at catherinehuang75 ‘at’ gmail.com.